SOCIETY SPONSORED TAI CHI CLASSES
Thursdays 2:15 – 3:15 pm.
For Squamish residents age 55+.
Heavily subsidized by grants. Rate $3.00/class – no drop-ins, sorry.
You must be preregistered to participate.
SUMMER SESSION STARTS JULY 7
Kriszti will begin with a “4-minute fitness” routine to warm up your body, and awaken your soul and spirit with 5 easy exercises to tune into Tai Chi.
Then build on those slowly over the next weeks to 9 “easy to memorize” postures (the Infinite Nine) which are not as complicated as other traditional methods.
Below are some of the benefits of Tai Chi and 4-minute fitness:
• Increased flexibility – particularly in the often-forgotten spine. Maintenance of flexibility in spinal joints is ‘oh so important’.
• Full range of motion in a lot of your joints – motion is lotion, as they say. Better yet – use it or lose it!
• Increased strength, particularly of the leg muscles
• Better balance, fewer falls
• Improved posture
• Improved immune functioning. (Why? Mental stillness and reduced stress help immune function, as does exercise.)
• Improved, deeper breathing – leading to increased oxygenation and vitality of all tissues, improved immune functioning, deeper relaxation
• Many people have reduced pain – particularly noticed in shoulders, back, legs and knees
• Increased vitality, energy, and life – and an increased awareness of the ever-present ‘chi’.
• Enhanced coordination, and improved fine motor skills.
• Decreased blood pressure
• Decreased breathing and heart rates
• Reduced stress
• Increased relaxation
• Increased concentration and mental focus
• Improved memory
• Increased sense of happiness, contentedness and inner peace
• Greater ability to ‘be in the moment’, to pull out of the craziness of everyday living
• An often-profound sense of being here, now. (Wherever you go, there you are…) In other words, reducing the tendency to live in the past, or worry about the future.
• A higher level of happiness